My Blog List

Sunday, September 26, 2010

2D Project Part 4: Text as Texture

This is my final piece. When I got critiqued I was told that it was nice and the negative space is really helping it.
The process I used to make this texture was just cutting out a whole bunch of triangular pieces of newspaper. I started it out with the darker, smaller pieces in the middle, then the medium sized ones, and then the larger pieces got lighter on the outside. The two darker shades of text look neater because I was able to cut them out on the same page with the same paragraphs and glue them together. The outside pieces don't look as neat because I had to cut them out on different pages and there is a lot of open space between the text. I used foam sheets for my circles. I just cut out different sized circles, glued them together, and the wrapped the darkest newspaper I could find around them to make them look neater and blend into my piece better. I spaced them out a little more because I didn't want to make the space seem too tight. When I made my eight sample textures, the one that had the swirl like this one reminded me of those round staircases. This is why I made the circles different heights; to make them seem like stairs. 
Overall, I had a great experience making this.  I never thought I would use as much newspaper as I did on this project.





No comments:

Post a Comment