My Blog List

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Natural Form Studies

9/1/10

The class was given two objects to study and examine. Everyone was given a piece of cardboard, and an object of nature.
I have discovered that the cardboard is hard to shape with your own hands, but can be cut and manipulated. I cant just trace a shape and cut it out with an exacto knife easily because the inside of cardboard is thin. We have to use cardboard to make a three-dimensional shape of the natural object.  It has to be at least two feet around or more.
The object I have to create with the cardboard is a sweetgum fruit. It comes off of trees, but I was lucky enough to get one that had just fallen because it is not dried out yet. I have found out that it falls apart very easily. The body of it falls apart by the touch and is very soft on the inside. It was completey whole when I got it, and the outside has a rough texture. After a couple of days it started falling apart and I discovered that the pieces that hold the gumball together are soft! They are a bit furry and there are quite a few of them.
I have decided to put my project together by cutting cirlces out of the cardboard and layering them on each side to make it look sphere like. I have been working on it in class and I have put something together. At first I was just cutting out circles free hand, but after gluing some of the pieces together I realized that I need to make perfect circles to give it more shape and make it look more organized.

Here are some pictures to share of the sweetgum, drawings, and possible solutions for the project.



No comments:

Post a Comment